Becoming a carer

We pride ourselves on the fantastic service we offer our clients. This starts with providing professional, honest and dedicated carers who are carefully matched to our clients. We take the time to really get to know our carers once they register with us. Our small and dedicated team is always contactable to offer advice and guidance

We appreciate that being self-employed may be new to some people, so we have complied a list of frequently asked questions. If your question is not answered below please phone the branch and they will provide you with the information you are looking for.


How does being a Self-employed carer work?

As a self-employed carer you are not an employee of The Care Agency, you work directly for the person receiving the care. This gives you complete control over the bookings you accept and ultimately your career progression.

Do I need to be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to be a live-in carer?

No. Live-in carers and personal assistants who are self-employed and work directly for an individual are not required to be CQC registered as long as the care does not extend beyond personal care. Please visit the CQC website to view their definition of personal care.

Do I need insurance to become a carer?

Yes. All carers that register with The Care Agency need to have Public Liability Insurance. This is to protect the client in the case of an accident or an injury where you are liable. One such provider is
Premier Care who offer Public liability cover for personal care assistants. Please follow this link to find out more.

How do I calculate my tax and National Insurance contributions?

As soon as you become self-employed you must tell HMRC. You can do this by registering online to pay taxes on the HMRC website or by calling the HMRC Newly Self Employed Hotline on 0300 200 3504.

Many of our carers do not want to go through this process themselves and instead work with an accountant to make sure they are compliant. If you contact our office we would be happy to recommend an accountant to you.

Do I get paid on handover days?

Yes, you will be paid a full day’s pay on both the day you start and the day you finish a placement.

Do I have to find and pay for my accommodation?

No. We only have clients who have a separate bedroom for their carer.

Who pays for my food during the placement?

The client provides the food during the booking; unless you have a special dietary requirement then you will be expected to supply this food yourself.

Who pays for my travel?

The client will pay for your travel to and from their home. We calculate the travel allowance for carers to be an off peak, second class rail fare from the station nearest to your home address to the station closest to the client’s address.

What if I don’t like my booking and want to leave?

If you don’t like your booking your first response should be to call the office. As we have had many of our clients for a long time and have very close relationships, there maybe something that we can do to help. If you need to leave urgently we would find a replacement carer to take over ASAP, but would ask that you remain with the client until there is someone there to relieve you.

What support do I get?

We have an office based team who are contactable 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The team have many years’ experience in the care industry and have been working in live-in care specifically for a number of years, so it is very unlikely you have question or query we have not had before.

Will my placement have wifi?

This will vary depending on the client, however when taking on a new client this is something we clarify and will relay this information to you when we approach you about the booking. If wi-fi / internet access is vital to you, we can put this on your file and only contact you about bookings with this facility.

Where will I be working?

We offer a nationwide service so have clients throughout the UK. It is completely up to you as to where you decide to work. As accommodation is provided at all our placements and the journey to and from the client’s home is paid for we find that location is rarely an issue for many of our carers.

Will I get regular work?

Yes. We always have a calling for dedicated, honest and hardworking carers.

Can I choose when I work?

Yes, as a self-employed carer it is up to you when you choose to take a booking.

Do you give training?

Yes, we offer all our new carers a comprehensive e-learning package which covers food hygiene, dementia awareness, safeguarding, stoma care, and health & safety.

We also are offering the chance for our registered carers to undergo  a three day classroom based induction programme, in order to attain The Care Certificate. To find out more about this please contact the office by phone or email.

Who pays me?

You will be paid directly by the person paying for the care. In the vast majority of cases this is the person receiving the care. Alternatively it will be their representative.

How much do I get paid?

Each booking has its own daily rate paid to the carer. This is dependent on the needs of the client, hence the level of carer duties and responsibilities.

Register to become a carer